Friday, January 28, 2011

Glorious Images

Last night was one of the most profound nights of corporate worship that I ever experienced. Being in an environment where everyone is on a similar page (Liberty University) for so long, I can tend to become numb to the amazing power of God and His Holy Spirit. The mysterious becomes mundane, and the Truth declared becomes "normal." The fear, the awe, the reverence, and the excitement so quickly wains when I rely on times with the church alone for a so-called "relationship" with Christ.

Church isn't enough. You need the personal touch of God in the every day things to experience the presence of Him. I have invited Him into my humanity. He has permeated everything I am. Every action is an act of adoration and worship to Him. Doing dishes, being a listening ear, making dinner for my husband, praying for my family and for those who He has laid heavily on my heart... it is all for His glory. This is the only way He showed up so powerfully in that emotional experience last night. He was not in that building alone, revealing his holy nature and surpassing worth. He is here now in my not-so-significant daily actions. He is just as beautiful and glorious when I am alone in my room on my knees as He is when literally 3,000 college students are shaking a room with their song of adoration.

I was standing in the midst of all that last night. I was in the middle of a sea of broken human beings who were reaching out to the Savior. We all cried "Hosanna" together in song, which means, "God, help us!" In the middle of this beautiful moment, the Word of God became alive to me in vivid images. It washed over me and I was paralyzed with sheer awe. I was trembling.

I saw the sky rip open and a legion of angels poured forth. They were led by the King of kings. I knew at once that this was the One my heart loves. This was the One I have been waiting for. He was riding on a white horse and was so bright that I could barely look at Him. His eyes were flaming with wrath, holiness, and perfection. A sword shot out from His mouth. A battle cry went up and a trumpet sounded in deafening power. He had come to defeat His enemy once and for all. He was coming in wrath and power and splendor. The fear of God swept over everything. The whole earth trembled and shook. A force I cannot describe with words came over the world and every speck of creation was knocked to its face. Even the trees bowed down. Angels were circling the King proclaiming Holy, Holy, Holy! They covered their faces and could not look at His glory.

In the same moment I saw the same King as a man standing in front of me. His eyes were gentle, but they pierced through every layer of my soul. They saw everything in me and I was fully exposed. Immediately I knew I had no right to even stand in His presence. He was so other than me... so much greater. I knew most of all that I should not be able to touch Him. Without hesitation he bent down below my level and scooped me into His arms. He broke through all separation. My righteousness was complete. I was perfect. I was healed. I belonged to Him.

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."
-Philippians 2:5-13

"Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,
"Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come, 
and his Bride has made herself ready; 
it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure"--
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
And the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.' And he said to me, 'These are the true words of God.' Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, 'You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. orship God.' For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the wine press of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords."
-Revelation 19:6-16

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome post, Rachel. You are a balm to my spirit. To read this...it gives me such a joy to know that you are relating regular life to His presence. Worshipful life.

    I love you, Sweetie! May the Lord continue to reveal Himself to us and change us daily.

    ReplyDelete