Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pork Pie and a Ball of Cookie

My favorite part of the day is when D comes home. Married life seems to have quieted my mind. I feel at rest with who I am and what I am doing in life. I no longer feel the need to wonder who might be watching me or what kind of an impression I may be making. If you are single you probably know exactly what I am talking about. "What if my future husband is IN THIS ROOM???" I don't care how mature or laid back you are, we've all thought about it before.

I find myself growing up lately. I love having my own home, decorating and cleaning, entertaining guests, but it's the simple times with my husband that are the most pleasurable. When we are together, we are children again. I love the nights when he comes home from work and we have nothing scheduled. I love getting the house ready for "the king" to come home. I love kissing him at the door and asking about his day. Ok, so usually I spill my guts to him first, end up realizing that I have verbal diarrhea, and finally get around to asking him about his day, but you get the picture. I just love all of it.

Sunday afternoon, while D was taking a nap, I decided to make my Auntie Sue's famous Pork Pie. D woke up to the aroma of rosemary and apples cooking on the stove. He was so thankful that I made dinner that he decided to bake me some cookies. He had never done this before, but was very confident in his endeavor, so he quickly set about following the recipe's directions. After a near scare in forgetting the eggs (but triumphantly remembering them at the last minute!), he scooped his prized accomplishment in little (ok, kind of big) blobs all along the cookie sheet. Next he whisked them into the oven, setting the timer so that the cookies wouldn't burn. What he soon discovered is that cookie dough spreads out a lot when it's cooked. To his dismay, a hot pan of misshapen cookies all stuck together emerged from the oven, and worse, our "non-stick" pan didn't seem to have any "non-stick" qualities. His face fell when he tried to scrape the mess off the pan and I was nearly feeling bad for him when his entire face lit up and he exclaimed, "I know! Let's make it into a cookie ball!" Immediately he went to work forming what every child's dream would be... a giant, sticky, melty ball of cookie. We were both laughing and we decided that this would be a better dessert than we had expected.

This whole little ordeal made me realize how blessed we are in our outlook on life. We don't always communicate love or respect to each other. We mess things up and we bump and bruise each other's feelings every now and then, but overall we can take a big fail and turn it into some very sweet memories. We have to remember sometimes that we are on the same team. We are fighting for each other, not against each other. It is so comforting to have a covering and a hedge of a protection. Just last night as I was falling asleep I listened to D lift our new little family up in prayer, and I drifted off thanking the Lord for providing this man to care for me and love me. I among all the women am the most blessed.

"I found the one my heart loves." -Song of Solomon 3:4

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, pork pie! I'm glad you guys liked it; I hope I can make it someday too. It's one of my favorite suppers...

    AND I love this post. Makes me look forward to married life......

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Verbal Diarrhea" !!!! LOVE it! You made me laugh!

    And, I don't know about my pork pie being "famous".....glad D and R liked it!

    ReplyDelete